Saturday, October 24, 2009

Before I leave

A quick word before I leave.

I've been to India several times before, but never to work or live on my own. I feel that the India that I saw was always viewed through a closed window, with me on the inside. My family, as well meaning as they no doubt are, have somewhat coddled me on my trips which is why I am curious and eager to discover for myself the real India.

I have my preconceptions. Viewing from a far I have on several occasions defended India and sung its praises, portraying myself as an expert on the subject as many will know is my style. I am proud of its history and aware of its chaos and contradictions, but to me they only serve to add to my curiosity and interest. Never have I seen such a working disorder, and for a relatively disorganized and 'off the cuff' guy I expect to feel right at home.

Inextricably linked to any new discovery however, is an element of risk. A blank slate has unlimited potential and although we have a thirst to fill it with knowledge and new discoveries, every time we do there is a little less blank space left. The mental image of India that i have and the expectation of what it is has greatly influenced my life. I was born and raised in an Indian household with India values (whatever that means) speaking an Indian language and with mostly Indian friends. Undoubtedly much of my mental image will be wrong and much of it will be revised, the expectations will either come to fruition or be discarded and a dream will be replaced by reality. But the risk is this. What if reality is a bitch?

What I discover about the motherland, what I learn about life in an Indian hospital, and the journey I have in the process will be the subject of this blog. I hope you enjoy.

1 comment:

  1. writings and images on the mental slate can and will be erased to be replaced by new ones. it is a constantly rejuvenating process. some writings and images stay on for a longer time than others.

    have you yet been to the ajanta and ellora caves?

    best wishes
    giriisam@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete